Jan 11, 2010

I'm Falling A Little Bit In Love

I've logged an average of four hours a day for the past week and a half on my novel. I've gotten to the point where I don't cringe when I say "my novel" out loud, and I stand up to stretch after two hours at my laptop, wondering where all the time has gone. It hasn't really ever felt like this before.

Two days ago, I had a eureka plot moment. I realized that one of my main character's best friends--ok, her best friend--has to do something very painful to her. I burst into tears. I walked around my mother's house, unsure of whether to jump for joy or delete all evidence of doing this painful thing. I felt like I had solved a problem, because this event will help me understand why my main character is so scarred and closed off, but I also felt like a real crazy person who creates a pretend world and then declares herself God in a cruel way. I have fallen in love with my main character and with her best friend, and it hurts to do something painful to them, because that means I have to see it through, and stay with her in the aftermath, no matter how many ways I find to numb her.

I suppose this is what writers talk about when they describe full immersion in a novel, when the characters are as real to them as their lovers, relatives, dogs. And I guess this is what seals the deal for a writer to see the thing through until it stops humming.

And I want to say I'm sorry for doing this horrible thing--so horrible, partly because I haven't learned all of its devastating effects on her yet--but I don't know who to say it to, because she's not real. But it feels good to say it to her here, on my little blog with a readership of 1.5 people on a busy day, it feels good to let it out: I have hurt someone I care about.

7 comments:

  1. Alison be like God!

    hurt them Al!

    then put bandaids on their heads & tickle them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel, I feel heard and listened to. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. but all kidding aside, that's great you feel this way. even if it hurts. you're novel's gonna kick ass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While teaching at Houston, Donny B., who wrote the Dead Father had this advice for a stuck writer whose story involved a baby: kick the baby.

    Kick the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Nick, you rock.
    @ty, while I'm not stuck and my work has no baby, I'll still file that one away...inspiration comes in the craziest places. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, Alison. It's Hadley, Christi's friend. I hope the characters are still speaking to you...

    ReplyDelete